Register
Welcome to the Stormspire.net WoW Gold Forums!

Greetings, guest! Welcome to Stormspire.net, your #1 resource for WoW and Diablo 3 Gold, Professions, and everything in between!


Enjoy what the site offers? Consider Premium Membership if you wish to get the most out of the site. Premium Membership benefits include the acclaimed Goblineer's World of Warcraft Gold Guide, private forum access, a complimentary high-quality avatar, and much more!


If this is your first visit, make sure to check out the Stormspire.net Survival Guide for a quick site orientation. You may also register to unlock all standard forum features, and to get rid of these lovely ads!


We proudly host the Official forums for TradeSkillMaster, The Undermine Journal, and WoWuction.

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ethereal Contributor
    DanCole42's Avatar
    Posts
    20
    Reputation
    0
    Tagged in
    11 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation

    Understanding the Crafting Mats Search

    So I have a few questions. I set up everything as explained in the guide, and then I come to the point of actually going to pick up mats.
    So I set up TSM a la "How to Set Up Enchanting in TSM Like a Boss"...

    When I run a "Crafting Mats" search, nearly everything comes up with an "Expected Cost" in the hundreds or even thousands of percent! Should I ignore anything that's over 100% or so? If I have an enchanting scroll that's ultimately going to get posted at a threshold of 110% of the crafting cost, would I really want to buy mats that are 500% above what TSM is using to calculate the profit? Or am I misinterpreting something, here?

    Why, if I'm trying to turn mats via enchanting into a profit, would TSM show me mats that are ludicrously unprofitable to buy?

    Another weird thing is, I do a basic search in TSM for "Maelstrom Crystal." It shows the top auction at 6g - 28% market value. However, when I do a Crafting Mats search, the same auction - 6g - shows up as "150% Expected Cost."

    Price Settings are set to use AuctionDB - Market Value for both Mat and Craft prices, with a secondary source of WoWuction Realm Median Price, and "Use Lower of Price Sources" checked to TRUE.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    EU-DarkSpear(A)
    TSM Developer
    Bart39's Avatar
    Posts
    1,136
    Reputation
    58
    Tagged in
    368 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCole42 View Post
    So I have a few questions. I set up everything as explained in the guide, and then I come to the point of actually going to pick up mats.
    So I set up TSM a la "How to Set Up Enchanting in TSM Like a Boss"...

    When I run a "Crafting Mats" search, nearly everything comes up with an "Expected Cost" in the hundreds or even thousands of percent! Should I ignore anything that's over 100% or so? If I have an enchanting scroll that's ultimately going to get posted at a threshold of 110% of the crafting cost, would I really want to buy mats that are 500% above what TSM is using to calculate the profit? Or am I misinterpreting something, here?

    Why, if I'm trying to turn mats via enchanting into a profit, would TSM show me mats that are ludicrously unprofitable to buy?

    Another weird thing is, I do a basic search in TSM for "Maelstrom Crystal." It shows the top auction at 6g - 28% market value. However, when I do a Crafting Mats search, the same auction - 6g - shows up as "150% Expected Cost."

    Price Settings are set to use AuctionDB - Market Value for both Mat and Craft prices, with a secondary source of WoWuction Realm Median Price, and "Use Lower of Price Sources" checked to TRUE.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    check what you have set in shopping options for "search results market price source" as that may be giving you the different market value on a general search versus the crafting mats search
    Sic has joined #TradeSkillMaster
    I love you all. TSM Has given me children.
    That is all.
    Sic has left #TradeSkillMaster

    TSM Application Developer / Assistant Addon Developer

    For information: TSM Website, TSM Addon, TSM App.
    Also Follow TSM on Twitter, and Like TSM on Facebook!
    If you need help with any of the above hop on Chat. It's much faster than posting

  3. #3
    Ethereal Contributor
    DanCole42's Avatar
    Posts
    20
    Reputation
    0
    Tagged in
    11 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart39 View Post
    check what you have set in shopping options for "search results market price source" as that may be giving you the different market value on a general search versus the crafting mats search
    Bart - That is also set to AuctionDB - Market Value.

  4. #4
    EU-DarkSpear(A)
    TSM Developer
    Bart39's Avatar
    Posts
    1,136
    Reputation
    58
    Tagged in
    368 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCole42 View Post
    Bart - That is also set to AuctionDB - Market Value.
    type /tsm version in-game and post back your versions
    Sic has joined #TradeSkillMaster
    I love you all. TSM Has given me children.
    That is all.
    Sic has left #TradeSkillMaster

    TSM Application Developer / Assistant Addon Developer

    For information: TSM Website, TSM Addon, TSM App.
    Also Follow TSM on Twitter, and Like TSM on Facebook!
    If you need help with any of the above hop on Chat. It's much faster than posting

  5. #5
    Ethereal Contributor
    DanCole42's Avatar
    Posts
    20
    Reputation
    0
    Tagged in
    11 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart39 View Post
    type /tsm version in-game and post back your versions
    TSM - 1.2.3
    Accounting - 1.2.3
    AuctionDB - 1.3.12
    Auctioning - 1.2.21
    Itemtracker - 1.2.5
    Shopping - 1.3.12
    WoWuction - 1.2.6
    Crafting - 1.1.10
    Destroying - 1.2.7
    Mailing - 1.0.9
    Warehousing - 1.4.7

    So you think this is a bug, rather than me just misinterpreting the information?

  6. #6
    EU-DarkSpear(A)
    TSM Developer
    Bart39's Avatar
    Posts
    1,136
    Reputation
    58
    Tagged in
    368 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCole42 View Post
    TSM - 1.2.3
    Accounting - 1.2.3
    AuctionDB - 1.3.12
    Auctioning - 1.2.21
    Itemtracker - 1.2.5
    Shopping - 1.3.12
    WoWuction - 1.2.6
    Crafting - 1.1.10
    Destroying - 1.2.7
    Mailing - 1.0.9
    Warehousing - 1.4.7

    So you think this is a bug, rather than me just misinterpreting the information?
    just making sure you were not on old versions....

    can you post some screenshots of your crafting queue showing the material list and price source and also of the crafting mats search window showing one of the mats giving strange results.
    Sic has joined #TradeSkillMaster
    I love you all. TSM Has given me children.
    That is all.
    Sic has left #TradeSkillMaster

    TSM Application Developer / Assistant Addon Developer

    For information: TSM Website, TSM Addon, TSM App.
    Also Follow TSM on Twitter, and Like TSM on Facebook!
    If you need help with any of the above hop on Chat. It's much faster than posting

  7. #7
    Ethereal Contributor
    DanCole42's Avatar
    Posts
    20
    Reputation
    0
    Tagged in
    11 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart39 View Post
    just making sure you were not on old versions....

    can you post some screenshots of your crafting queue showing the material list and price source and also of the crafting mats search window showing one of the mats giving strange results.
    Here's a shot showing Enchant Gloves - Might Strength. Item Value is 548g99s, with a projected profit of 446g, implying a total mats cost of 102g99s (assuming I understand what "Item Value" means). According to the total cost listed in the Queue, the breakdown for the mats for one enchant are:


    8 Greater Celestial Essence - 5g95s (47g60s)
    4 Hypnotic Dust - 3g (12g)
    2 Maelstrom Crystal - 7g90s (15g80s)
    1 Enchanting Vellum (not counted)


    TOTAL MAT COST: 75g40s


    I THINK my math is right, but that total cost is off from the 102g99s I figured on above.


    In the next shot, we can see the tooltip for Greater Celestial Essence. 5g95s comes from WoWuction's Realm Median Price.


    Anyway, here's the Crafting page for the Enchant. Profit is listed as 446g, Crafting Cost is listed at 75g (rounded down from the 75g48 on the Restock page).


    This shot confirms that Greater Celestial Essence is not set to any overrides.


    This shot shows that the cheapest auction is 18g. Which incidentally is 203% above the price from WoWuction.


    Finally, here's the Expected Cost from the Crafting Mats search: 303%.


    Okay, I think I figured out my problem. By having "Use Lower of Price Sources," set to TRUE, TSM is pulling the MUCH lower WoWuction Median price for the mats, but the much HIGHER AuctionDB Market Value price for the crafted enchant.


    ...


    Okay, I've set "Use Lower..." to FALSE, and that seems to have fixed the issue. Enchant Gloves - Mighty Strength now only shows with a profit of 157g (NOT 446g), and an item value of 509g67s. In the Crafting Mats search, Greater Celestial Essence now shows the 18g auction at 56% of expected cost.


    Phew.


    Okay, MOST things make more sense now.


    But I still have one question: how do I know how high of a "% Expected Cost" I can buy mats at and still end up with a profitable enchant?


    Thanks!

    EDIT: For example, Enchant A sells for 100g, and uses MatB which costs 15g. That's a 566% profit. Assuming TSM is set to sell at a minimum profit of 110% Crafting Cost, I could buy MatB for 90g - 500% above the expected cost!

    Enchant X also sells for 100g, but uses MatY, which costs 80g. If I were to buy MatB at 500% above the expected cost, I'd be spending 400g to make a 100g Enchant.
    Last edited by DanCole42; December 2nd, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

  8. #8
    US-Wyrmrest Accord(A)
    Entrepreneur
    SeanJFraley's Avatar
    Posts
    3
    Reputation
    0
    Tagged in
    2 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    I've tried all the things here but am still getting the error OP mentioned. I use wowuction realm market value for pricing info.

  9. #9
    Sapy on US-Tichondrius(H)
    TSM Lead Developer
    Sapu94's Avatar
    Posts
    4,657
    Reputation
    241
    Blog Entries
    19
    Tagged in
    1358 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanJFraley View Post
    I've tried all the things here but am still getting the error OP mentioned. I use wowuction realm market value for pricing info.
    If you're having an issue with TSM, you should create a new thread and fully detail the issue you are having. You should also provide screenshots clearly showing the issue and ALL relevant settings as well as the result of typing "/tsm version". Providing a description of what you've tried is useful, but saying "I've tried all the things here" is not a substitute for this or for describing your issue.


    Follow me and TSM on Twitter for important updates, news, and giveaways!
    TSM Website | TSM Chat Channel (IRC) | Donate | TSM FAQ

    "A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street." ~Doug Linder

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Crafting Mats search on owned items?
    By sirtus in forum Official TradeSkillMaster Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 27th, 2012, 07:51 AM
  2. TSM doesn't search for cata herbs when buying mats
    By lighty in forum Addons and Macros
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
  3. Enchanting Crafting Mats Search: Why oh God Why?
    By Bilo Selhi in forum Official TradeSkillMaster Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 25th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •