Register
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Tokens are going to become unaffordable for the more casual players that use 1 a month to pay for their subscription. You can't even buy any right now, they're selling out as fast as people post them.

  2. #12
    Just an FYI, the person who told me that the price you get for your token is set when you buy it is wrong. I bought one for $20 last night when it was 70K and I can sell it right now for 101K. Now the thing I didn't consider is, that isn't really "speculating" because my $20 isn't really "worth more" now than it was last night, per se, I could have just waited till right now to buy it and still gotten the 101K...

    What I really want to know is how this is NOT going to cause inflation. Isn't the prices for EVERYTHING going to go up?

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by kipperflip View Post
    What I really want to know is how this is NOT going to cause inflation. Isn't the prices for EVERYTHING going to go up?
    Because the gold spent on tokens exits the economy thereby reducing the gold pool available to players. Gold spent on tokens makes all gold worth more because gold supply goes down. Goblins like us will start to spend more gold than we did before that exits WoW and goes into pets and mounts, Overwatch loot boxes, Heroes of the Storm goodies, Hearthstone packs, etc.

    I find this whole thing quite motivating. I had slowed down to listing stuff once a week or once a month on some of my realms, but I may begin to list more now. Nice to have something to spend on aside from BMAH rarities.
    Last edited by EnigmaticClarity; February 7th, 2017 at 07:45 AM.

  4. #14
    Melch's Avatar
    Posts
    89
    Reputation
    2
    Tagged in
    27 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Raekz View Post
    Also, this macro might come in handy if you keep getting the 'No tokens are available etc' ;

    /script C_WowTokenPublic.BuyToken()
    You can also add the following for even more convenience;

    /script C_WowTokenPublic.BuyToken()
    /click BrowseBuyoutButton
    /click StaticPopup1Button1

  5. #15
    Melch's Avatar
    Posts
    89
    Reputation
    2
    Tagged in
    27 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticClarity View Post
    Because the gold spent on tokens exits the economy thereby reducing the gold pool available to players. Gold spent on tokens makes all gold worth more because gold supply goes down. Goblins like us will start to spend more gold than we did before that exits WoW and goes into pets and mounts.
    I highly question this statement.
    Player A buys a token from blizzard, and 'sells' it to player B for 100.000g on the AH.
    Player B is probably loaded with gold, but never really has much to spend it on. Player B can now use it for gametime, or for other Blizzard services/products.
    Player A now has 100.000g to spend in the economy, instead of Player B sitting on the 100.000g not using it.
    In other words, there will be more gold in the 'live' economy. I have about 15.000.000g at the moment, not doing anything. When the token exchange comes to the EU, I will spend about 3 - 5mil on tokens to fill up my Battle.NET balance (max €250 I believe).
    My 3 - 5million gold is now active again in WoW's economy.

  6. #16
    The FAQ says that there's a limit on how high your Battle.NET balance can go if you're not using an authenticator. Anyone seen what that balance limit is?

    I've got an authenticator but don't use it because it feels inconvenient. I've been hacked a few times but Blizz has always completely restored everything, so I guess I'm spoiled.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Melch View Post
    I highly question this statement.
    Player A buys a token from blizzard, and 'sells' it to player B for 100.000g on the AH.
    Player B is probably loaded with gold, but never really has much to spend it on. Player B can now use it for gametime, or for other Blizzard services/products.
    Player A now has 100.000g to spend in the economy, instead of Player B sitting on the 100.000g not using it.
    In other words, there will be more gold in the 'live' economy. I have about 15.000.000g at the moment, not doing anything. When the token exchange comes to the EU, I will spend about 3 - 5mil on tokens to fill up my Battle.NET balance (max €250 I believe).
    My 3 - 5million gold is now active again in WoW's economy.
    Oh yea, you're right, it just redistributes gold. And as you say it's now in the hands of someone more likely to spend it which does tend to mean inflation. Not a ton, but some.

  8. #18
    Anyone know if Legion itself is purchasable for Battle.NET balance? So goblins also get expansions for "free" in addition to game time into the future?

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticClarity View Post
    Oh yea, you're right, it just redistributes gold. And as you say it's now in the hands of someone more likely to spend it which does tend to mean inflation. Not a ton, but some.
    That's my point. BTW, I originally made you're same wrong assumption about it being removed from the economy. However, "not a ton" might wind up being a ton times 10 or 10,000 when it's all said and done. You never know.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kipperflip View Post
    That's my point. BTW, I originally made you're same wrong assumption about it being removed from the economy. However, "not a ton" might wind up being a ton times 10 or 10,000 when it's all said and done. You never know.
    I'd guess about 2% of players were buying the tokens every month before, and with the new double or triple of that old price I'm guessing it will go down to something like 0.5%, probably even less. And not many of those players will buy anything beyond game time; the number of people funding new games or in-game items across multiple games will be miniscule, probably the top 1% of the top 1%.

    Another factor is that the lower the population of your realm, the more that token purchases DO exit your realm's economy. Since the tokens are shared across entire regions, when you buy a token on a low-population realm the gold will actually go to another realm, and in all likelihood it will go to a realm with a higher population than yours. So while the gold is redistributed, there's a tendency for gold to go to the highest population realms. Those realms should experience the most inflation, but I'll be surprised if it's all that noticeable.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. [Gen] What will WoW tokens for Battle.NET balance do to the economy?
    By EnigmaticClarity in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: November 30th, 2016, 02:51 PM
  2. [Gen] Balance of professions across all character slots?
    By PhilUK in forum Professions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: October 6th, 2015, 01:48 PM
  3. Profession Leveling Balance in MoP: When to
    By bloodyen in forum Archive (Professions)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM

Tags for this Thread