Register
  • Jewelcrafters, Don't Forget About Jewelry!

    Some of you may be frustrated with the current gem market. s have plummeted to 15-20g each, s to 30g. Indeed, green gems are often worth more than their blue counterparts. The reality is that Cataclysm ores are far more abundant than anyone had anticipated, and we're seeing the correspondent market reaction. PvP gems were selling nicely during the whole Tol Barad abuse bonzanza, but now that market is dry too. I find myself re-listing several unsold cut gems daily, each time at a lower undercut than before. To make matters worse, I have a full time job, and cannot fight the competition's hourly undercuts.

    I don't know about you, but fighting for slim profits on gems is not what I signed up for. Of course, Jewelcrafting offers several other benefits, such as JC -> DE fodder, but it feels like I'm wasting my daily tokens on these silly gem cuts.

    Enter Cataclysm's latest, hottest fashion jewelry;








    My first impression of these was not a good one. 4 x per piece, along with 75 Volatile elements? Fancy joke, blizzard. Most of these crafts will likely be expensive for the remainder of Cataclysm. Your average cost for any piece ranges from 3000-5000g, assuming costs ~300g.

    Keep in mind, this isn't WotLK. Blue items like this (especially ilvl 346 ones), are actually BiS pre-raid, given that most competing rings/necks don't offer a socket. The one item that caught my attention was , requiring 75 , a much cheaper reagent than its air, earth, fire, or water counterpart. Total crafting cost? About 1850g. For a BiS ring, this is actually a pretty good deal. Given the difficulty of entry-level heroics, the average player is definitely willing to shell out the cash for a ring of this caliber. Your first couple sales will likely cover the cost of purchasing the recipe - the rest is just gravy. These aren't unique, so make sure to list them in doubles, since a single buyer might pick up both at once.

    If you're discouraged with the gem market, and find yourself short on the time required to compete with undercutters, this could be the solution for you. Just make sure to check the AH for competitors first!

    Sterling beaming out!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jewelcrafters, Don't Forget About Jewelry! started by Sterling View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. calianna's Avatar
      calianna -
      This is an excellent tip, especially for those who can't fight with undercutters all day. I just bought my third jewelry pattern this morning. I picked up the and those have sold fairly well. was the the second one; it has not sold as well as I expected, but I have listed it a bit higher than the Moebius Band. This morning I picked up . I was a bit hesitant on this one as the mats cost is so much higher, but with the hit bonus, it seems like an excellent piece for those gearing up for raiding.

      The only downside is that these are similar to the Therazane rewards. One thing I find odd is that there is not a JC strength DPS ring, instead there are two agility rings.
    1. codymac's Avatar
      codymac -
      I've sold one Moebius band at 8000, haven't sold another and have dropped the price down to 4000 (no competition). Hopefully it will pickup soon.
    1. Zerohour's Avatar
      Zerohour -
      These items will definitely differentiate you from the market, given they are also requiring max level. Remember when I said in the Pyrite thread that the change didn't matter to 500? Yep. Gems were destined to crash because everyone and his mother is a JCer. It's also been around a while, so people know that it's out there and that it's profitable so between all the gold making blogs - you now get to compete with every camper out there.

      Gems are kinda pointless to cut for a profit as I realized this about a week or so ago when uncuts were selling for more than the cut versions. Over here we have the kiddies that don't realize that 1 - 2 = negative profits. Unless they are all Uberfarmers, in either case it's pointless to try to keep up with that.

      There are other tactics here to compete in this market more effectively, but we'll share those methods when the time allows.
    1. Athkatla's Avatar
      Athkatla -
      Sadly, you can't call these rings BiS pre-raid - it's true that they have a socket, but the socket isn't free; it's paid for with reduced secondary stats. For a tank, at least, that Moebius band is inferior to several heroic drops and rep items with higher Mastery.
    1. Sterling's Avatar
      Sterling -
      Quote Originally Posted by Athkatla View Post
      Sadly, you can't call these rings BiS pre-raid - it's true that they have a socket, but the socket isn't free; it's paid for with reduced secondary stats. For a tank, at least, that Moebius band is inferior to several heroic drops and rep items with higher Mastery.
      Incorrect, the ring may not be BiS for prot pally tanks but it is BiS for feral tanks, at least. The rings and necks are BiS for some other classes, I won't bother sifting through EJ's spreadsheets again but they definitely are.

      Sockets aren't free, but they allow the wearer to stack a desired stat beyond what regular gear would allow, making them much more valuable.

      Edit: Essentially, any seller should do his/her homework before crafting/selling a ring or neck. You don't want to be stuck with a pattern that isn't BiS.
    1. Stede's Avatar
      Stede -
      A lot of these are BiS pre-raid, but when I bark them (particularly the ) as BiS (pre-raid)for Agility DPS, the trolls throw a fit.

      People - reforging is 10g. A gems is 150g. If you can't be bothered to buy those, you shouldn't be raiding. If you can't afford those, you can't afford the ring. /rant.

      Feral Druids, Elemental Shamans, Hunters, and Rogues could all use these rings. In fact, there are only a couple specs between Hunters and Rogues where this is not BiS (pre-raid). For those guys, your better rings (pre-raid) are - a rare, epic world drop - and - which requires Exalted with the Earthen Ring. Furthermore, both those rings are unique-equipped, whereas the [link]Elementium Destroyer's Ring[/link] is not.

      The kills the price though - these are 50g / each at a minimum on my server, and the ring requires 75 of them, along with 4 , which go for about 500g / each. That brings the mats cost to almost 7.5k.

      BUT! If an agility dps would rather grind out rep to exalted and grind out a world drop, they can be my guest. I sell these rings for 9k, and, as an Assassination Rogue, I think they're worth every copper, and they allow me to move my focus on to the rest of my gear.

      I swear - if Blizz had kept the gear purple, like the recipes were purple, these things would be flying off the shelf. Sorry to get so hot under the collar, but this has been bugging the bejesus out of me.
    1. codymac's Avatar
      codymac -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
      Incorrect, the ring may not be BiS for prot pally tanks but it is BiS for feral tanks, at least. The rings and necks are BiS for some other classes, I won't bother sifting through EJ's spreadsheets again but they definitely are.

      Sockets aren't free, but they allow the wearer to stack a desired stat beyond what regular gear would allow, making them much more valuable.

      Edit: Essentially, any seller should do his/her homework before crafting/selling a ring or neck. You don't want to be stuck with a pattern that isn't BiS.
      Not much of a theorycrafter but isn't a better ring for feral tanks because of the Agility?
    1. Sterling's Avatar
      Sterling -
      Quote Originally Posted by codymac View Post
      Not much of a theorycrafter but isn't a better ring for feral tanks because of the Agility?
      Yes, just a slip on my part. You throw 2 s in those are you're looking at the highest +stam ring set pre-raid.
    1. codymac's Avatar
      codymac -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
      Yes, just a slip on my part. You throw 2 s in those are you're looking at the highest +stam ring set pre-raid.
      This is my final off-topic remark, I promise...


      I'm putting in my rings, here's why.
    1. Z-Man's Avatar
      Z-Man -
      I went with the Elementium Guardian pattern. I managed to sell the first one for 7500g, and the second one has been sitting in the AH for a week.

      I've talked with a few potential buyers and there seems to some resistance to paying this kind of gold for a blue item, so we'd probably be selling a lot more of these if they were phat purplez instead. The focus on item level is also an issue as the crafted jewelry is only i346 and players want i359. If these were i359 with purple text, they'd be flying off the shelves (even with i346 stats).
    1. upfromtheashes's Avatar
      upfromtheashes -
      Do you think that JCs the only gear-crafting profession that can't make ilvl 359 gear because it would make the profession "too good" in comparison to other crafting professions?
    1. Namssob's Avatar
      Namssob -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
      Some of you may be frustrated with the current gem market. s have plummeted to 15-20g each, s to 30g. Indeed, green gems are often worth more than their blue counterparts. The reality is that Cataclysm ores are far more abundant than anyone had anticipated, and we're seeing the correspondent market reaction. PvP gems were selling nicely during the whole Tol Barad abuse bonzanza, but now that market is dry too. I find myself re-listing several unsold cut gems daily, each time at a lower undercut than before. To make matters worse, I have a full time job, and cannot fight the competition's hourly undercuts.

      I don't know about you, but fighting for slim profits on gems is not what I signed up for. Of course, Jewelcrafting offers several other benefits, such as JC -> DE fodder, but it feels like I'm wasting my daily tokens on these silly gem cuts.

      Enter Cataclysm's latest, hottest fashion jewelry;








      My first impression of these was not a good one. 4 x per piece, along with 75 Volatile elements? Fancy joke, blizzard. Most of these crafts will likely be expensive for the remainder of Cataclysm. Your average cost for any piece ranges from 3000-5000g, assuming costs ~300g.

      Keep in mind, this isn't WotLK. Blue items like this (especially ilvl 346 ones), are actually BiS pre-raid, given that most competing rings/necks don't offer a socket. The one item that caught my attention was , requiring 75 , a much cheaper reagent than its air, earth, fire, or water counterpart. Total crafting cost? About 1850g. For a BiS ring, this is actually a pretty good deal. Given the difficulty of entry-level heroics, the average player is definitely willing to shell out the cash for a ring of this caliber. Your first couple sales will likely cover the cost of purchasing the recipe - the rest is just gravy. These aren't unique, so make sure to list them in doubles, since a single buyer might pick up both at once.

      If you're discouraged with the gem market, and find yourself short on the time required to compete with undercutters, this could be the solution for you. Just make sure to check the AH for competitors first!

      Sterling beaming out!
      Great post! I took a slightly different approach. I, too, thought the Moebius band would be the best bet - until I looked at my competition, and found the market was already flooded. I also considered this to be the easiest JC jewelry "market" to enter, meaning prices would continue to fall. I can still make some decent bank on it, but I took a different approach considering THREE things: 1) The cost / availability of the mats, 2) competition, and, 3) Ease of entry into the market. The Guardian was a better choice for me for my first piece. Volatile Earth is just as abundant for me as Life's are, but because they are SO much more expensive, this should keep the casual "buy-craft&tip-sell" bankers from competing with me, there were only 1-2 sellers so fewer competition, and because I am in prospect mode right now, I have just as much supply of Earth's coming in.

      Sadly, there is ONE moron (yes, I think he's a moron, sorry!) who keeps pricing his guardians BELOW cost. I've already bought him out TWICE and resold (4k to 8k, and 4500g to 7500g), and then emailed him with one of those classically screen-shotted emails "Hey, raise your prices genius!", and he argues with me. And I've sold 3-4 of my own, all over 7500g. So as long as more competition doesn't break into this, it's working very well!
    1. ErolVingian's Avatar
      ErolVingian -
      Quote Originally Posted by Namssob View Post
      Sadly, there is ONE moron (yes, I think he's a moron, sorry!) who keeps pricing his guardians BELOW cost. I've already bought him out TWICE and resold (4k to 8k, and 4500g to 7500g), and then emailed him with one of those classically screen-shotted emails "Hey, raise your prices genius!",
      Why is this sad?

      If he's listing things below cost price keep buying him out, you save money cos it's less than cost price, he goes broke pretty soon everyones a winner, why on earth would you want to get your competition to sell stuff above cost price but cheaper than your auctions?
    1. Thefluffyrocker's Avatar
      Thefluffyrocker -
      Sadly, there is ONE moron (yes, I think he's a moron, sorry!) who keeps pricing his guardians BELOW cost. I've already bought him out TWICE and resold (4k to 8k, and 4500g to 7500g), and then emailed him with one of those classically screen-shotted emails "Hey, raise your prices genius!", and he argues with me. And I've sold 3-4 of my own, all over 7500g. So as long as more competition doesn't break into this, it's working very well!
      I'm going to guess here that he is obtaining his own chimera's from the daily rather than buying them if he is consistently selling below cost price, then thinking he's making a killing by doing it. "if you farm it yourself, it's free!".

      As Erol said though i wouldn't be disappointed by this person as they are effectively increasing your profits for you. If they sell it for less than you can makes and you can flip it you are making more profit than by making them yourself.
      Unless he was spamming them to a degree you couldn't flip them i wouldn't have even tried to teach him because if he learns you lose easy money from flipping his items and gain another more switched on competitor. If he actually listens to what you tried to teach him it's a lose-lose situation for you overall.
    1. WoWMidas's Avatar
      WoWMidas -
      See my post today on the new ilvl 346 recipes:

      http://wowmidas.com/2011/01/05/jewel...the-346-items/

      Very few folks were picking up recipes for the first month. As of last week, there was only 1 recipe I didn't have with items being posted, and at least 4 recipes for which there were no sales at all in the AH.

      This week, things have changed, but I still don't expect competition to be in full force until next week.

      Incidentally, our Chimera's Eyes are around 450g each at the low end and Volatile Lifes are close to 20g in volume (they haven't been under 10g since week 2 post-Cata), so on Malygos the Moebius band is more like a 3,000-3,500g ring to craft, in mats alone. I've sold a few in the 5,400g range, so yeah a nice profit, but they're not exactly moving. Brazen Elementium Medallion has been selling much better, and at a higher price point. It's the agi dps neck with a red slot.