Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    New to auction house, got some questions.

    Hello guys! I'm new to the auction game and I've got some questions.

    First, a little bit about myself:
    I've been playing for about a month. With 3 weeks on the auctionhouse.
    I am only level 1 on my auction alt, and my main is only level 63. Therefore, I don't have any professions.
    I use Auctioneer as my auction addon.
    I'm on the high pop server, US-Sargeras.
    I have about 20k gold in my bag to work with.
    I spend about 2 hours a day at the auction house.
    Saw a link to this forum here

    ---

    My main(only) source of income, right now, is reselling. I buy low priced mats and consumables and resell them at under marketprice. Typically, I have around 1500-2000 auctions on the auction house at any given time, and this is constantly increasing. Because of this, I'm starting to run into problems.

    1.) I can't keep track of my stock. Obviously, I can't keep 1500 stacks of items in my inventory, so I keep everything on the auction house at all times. I use Bean Counter while purchasing, because it automatically searches each item's purchase history as I "Purchase All". I do an estimation of my stock by glancing at the number of "Won by Buyout" and "Auction Expired" listings. But the problem is that this takes time. When I'm buying 500 items off the auctionhouse at a time, it's nice to be able to just buy everything. Also, for items that have slow resell rates (like glyphs and jewels), I remove them from my snatch list once I've built up a stock of them, to help streamline my purchasing. But once I've removed the items from my snatchlist, I have to manually check each item from time to time to make sure I still have stock. All of this is slowing down my listing process. I'm curious if anyone has a better solution.

    ---

    I don't actually know how to use Auctioneer very well. I don't like using the Resell feature, because it grabs all sorts of random items, most of which I am leery of reselling. I don't play much WoW to be honest, and I don't actually know what items sell. (Especially equipment, because I don't even know what stats are good and what classes wear what armor haha). Instead, I use the snatch feature. I have a snatch "masterlist" of several hundred items that I believed would sell well. I sometimes make mistakes and remove the bad sellers, but for the most part, I'm turning a good profit this way.

    2.) I don't know how to manage my snatch list. The only way I know how to add an item to a snatch list is by buying the item and the drag-drop'ing the item into the box in the snatch menu. This is annoying when there are some items I'd like to add to my snatch list, but I don't own any of that item. Also, I don't know how to search multiple lists at the same time. It's tedious to manually select each list as I search. This is the reason I only use a single snatch list, but I think I've come to the conclusion that multiple snatchlists is the way to solve my problem #1. I can put my slow sellers in one list and my quick sellers in another.

    ---

    Today, I was browsing Reddit, and I came across a guy who posted a screen shot of himself making about 100k in a single round of listing. O.o Link here.

    3.) Am I seriously gimping myself by not leveling to 85 for a profession? :O I can make anywhere from 3-7k a day with only about 35-50% of that in profit, because I'm only reselling items on the auctionhouse. It depends on if I get lucky and a farmer unloads his stock for cheap on the auctionhouse for me to snatch. I on average probably only make 3k a day profit. That's nowhere near 100k! O.O O.O O.o

    4.) On that note, I don't know how to keep track of my gold. Since I reinvest all of my gold back into more inventory, I don't really know how much gold I'm making each day. Is there a way to keep track of that? I only keep about 20k of gold in my bag at any given time. I thought about looking at my achievements but it's locked, because I'm only level 1.


    ---

    5.) I noticed a while back that "Get All" scan doesn't actually get all listings. For some reason it seems to skip a lot of the auction house. Instead I do the regular scan, which seems to work better, but it takes 45 minutes. Am I doing it wrong, or is this a bug?

    6.) Listing 1500 auctions takes forever. This is my biggest problem. It takes me over 2 hours to buy and list all my auctions now. Once I redo my snatchlists, I think I can streamline it a bit better. Do you think reselling is a bad way to make money?

    7.) Also, I'm happy to hear any suggestions anyone has to play the market better. I currently snatch Cloth, Herbs, Ore, Bars, Leather, Food, Flasks, Potions, Elixirs and I'm building up a list for Glyphs, Jewels, Pigments, and Disenchanted mats. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I need to invest in an 85 for professions?

    Should I keep my mouth shut, so others don't learn how to play the auction house? :X

    edit: Oh this is pretty sweet, there's a website called "Undermine Journal". They've got all my info: http://theunderminejournal.com/selle...ller=Geodorian
    Last edited by Kevin; February 9th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

  2. #2
    1. Set up some new alts, create a new guild with them, buy a few guild tabs. This will get you a lot of space quick.

    2. You should be able to shift-click or control-click an item link to get it into your snatch list. There are several ways to get item links in game (even without seeing the item). Search for an item on wowhead.com, look in the upper-right and you'll see a button called link. Click that, copy the text, paste it into your chat window in WoW.

    3. You can do a lot without max level professions, but they definitely add a lot of new capabilities.

    4. Look for an addon called MySales.

    5. You're not doing anything wrong. It happens. You might get better results by getting to a less populated area (like Exodar or Darnassus) before scanning.

    6. I use APM (auction profit master) to create groups of items and auto-price things. If you want to set each item's price explicitly, every time, it's going to take a while.

    Edit: Check out the Trade Skill Master guide in the guides section. I'm not currently using it, but it is getting nothing but positive feedback. Once I have some free time, I plan on setting it up to use it.
    Last edited by calianna; February 9th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Lanoitarus's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Reputation
    5
    Tagged in
    0 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Holy hell this is quite a post. First of all, congrats on figuring out as much as you have in only a month-- that is a pretty impressive learning curve at something many of us have been doing for years. Here are a few of my thoughts, others will probably chime in too.

    I can't keep track of my stock.
    I don't actually know how to use Auctioneer very well.
    2.) I don't know how to manage my snatch list.
    4.) On that note, I don't know how to keep track of my gold.
    6.) Listing 1500 auctions takes forever. This is my biggest problem. It takes me over 2 hours to buy and list all my auctions now. Once I redo my snatchlists, I think I can streamline it a bit better. Do you think reselling is a bad way to make money?
    I see all of these as related, and the common issue is that you are dealing with too much volume to reasonably handle. Tons of the stuff you are selling and flipping, even if profitable, simply isn't worth the time. I see dozens of listings you've got with only a few silver as the price... its really not even worth the click to sell that. Try setting yourself a minimum absolute profit of a gold or two instead of just a percentage profit.

    3.) Am I seriously gimping myself by not leveling to 85 for a profession?
    Some professions can be pretty lucrative at 85, but they also cost thousands of gold to level up and buy recipes for. I wouldn't rush your enjoyment of the game for it, but certainly give it a shot when you are ready.

    Should I keep my mouth shut, so others don't learn how to play the auction house? :X
    Too late. There are countless blogs/sites/forums/whatever dedicated to this stuff. The cat is out of the bag.

    Oh this is pretty sweet, there's a website called "Undermine Journal". They've got all my info: http://theunderminejournal.com/selle...ller=Geodorian
    Yes, it is pretty sweet.


    The last thing I want to add is that I notice you are dealing in a TON of crafted items, glyphs in particular. It is VERY easy to get burnt trying to arbitrage crafted items if you are not a crafter yourself: whoever made them can usually make more, cheaper, and all it takes is them trying for you to take a beating. Be careful, you're playing with fire there.

  4. #4
    One thing you didn't mention - or I missed it - is if you have any professions on your 63 has. If nothing else, spend an afternoon and go pick up herb/mining. Those will sell for you when you need a break from everything and gives xp now. I leveled my main from 80 - 85 on herbs and mining in less than a week (yes, I enjoy farming.) For me, it was a great springboard toward money at the beginning of cata but you'll find that the lower level herbs sell quite well as does some of the ore. If you're going to level might as well make money with that, too! And don't vendor anything that isn't grey until you've checked the ah. I made a mint selling odds and ends out of dungeons and from leveling... from stuff that most people vendor.

  5. #5
    Sterling's Avatar
    Posts
    3,856
    Reputation
    379
    Blog Entries
    1
    Tagged in
    2134 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    First of all grats on:
    - Finding the best gold-making community there is.
    - Building a 20k fortune in no less than a month.
    - Making a well-thought out first post.

    And welcome to the site! I'll do my best to answer your questions, though Cali and Lano already covered a lot of stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    My main(only) source of income, right now, is reselling. I buy low priced mats and consumables and resell them at under marketprice. Typically, I have around 1500-2000 auctions on the auction house at any given time, and this is constantly increasing. Because of this, I'm starting to run into problems.

    1.) I can't keep track of my stock. Obviously, I can't keep 1500 stacks of items in my inventory, so I keep everything on the auction house at all times. I use Bean Counter while purchasing, because it automatically searches each item's purchase history as I "Purchase All". I do an estimation of my stock by glancing at the number of "Won by Buyout" and "Auction Expired" listings. But the problem is that this takes time. When I'm buying 500 items off the auctionhouse at a time, it's nice to be able to just buy everything. Also, for items that have slow resell rates (like glyphs and jewels), I remove them from my snatch list once I've built up a stock of them, to help streamline my purchasing. But once I've removed the items from my snatchlist, I have to manually check each item from time to time to make sure I still have stock. All of this is slowing down my listing process. I'm curious if anyone has a better solution.
    Shift-right click does the job for me. But you still have to click each auction once. Sounds like you're reselling a lot of low-margin goods, try sticking to high margin, high liquidity markets.

    I don't actually know how to use Auctioneer very well. I don't like using the Resell feature, because it grabs all sorts of random items, most of which I am leery of reselling. I don't play much WoW to be honest, and I don't actually know what items sell. (Especially equipment, because I don't even know what stats are good and what classes wear what armor haha). Instead, I use the snatch feature. I have a snatch "masterlist" of several hundred items that I believed would sell well. I sometimes make mistakes and remove the bad sellers, but for the most part, I'm turning a good profit this way.

    2.) I don't know how to manage my snatch list. The only way I know how to add an item to a snatch list is by buying the item and the drag-drop'ing the item into the box in the snatch menu. This is annoying when there are some items I'd like to add to my snatch list, but I don't own any of that item. Also, I don't know how to search multiple lists at the same time. It's tedious to manually select each list as I search. This is the reason I only use a single snatch list, but I think I've come to the conclusion that multiple snatchlists is the way to solve my problem #1. I can put my slow sellers in one list and my quick sellers in another.
    Check out this post for auctioneer help.
    Check out calianna's thread on snatch list while you're at it.

    Today, I was browsing Reddit, and I came across a guy who posted a screen shot of himself making about 100k in a single round of listing. O.o Link here.
    Most serious goblins on these forums prepared and capitalized on this. I discussed high-selling gems here, there is also a plethora of threads discussing 4.0.6 preparation on the forums.

    3.) Am I seriously gimping myself by not leveling to 85 for a profession? :O I can make anywhere from 3-7k a day with only about 35-50% of that in profit, because I'm only reselling items on the auctionhouse. It depends on if I get lucky and a farmer unloads his stock for cheap on the auctionhouse for me to snatch. I on average probably only make 3k a day profit. That's nowhere near 100k! O.O O.O O.o
    Max professions help. Reselling is one of the most efficient techniques though. Sure that guy made 100k, but that's a one-time thing thanks to all the gem changes. It's important to capitalize on these kinds of opportunities, things like glyphmas, epic gems from titanium, maelstrom DEs, etc etc. These are all huge opportunities that make people rich.

    4.) On that note, I don't know how to keep track of my gold. Since I reinvest all of my gold back into more inventory, I don't really know how much gold I'm making each day. Is there a way to keep track of that? I only keep about 20k of gold in my bag at any given time. I thought about looking at my achievements but it's locked, because I'm only level 1.
    I like bagnon. It's awesome. Keeps track of all your inventory and gold across all characters. Altoholic is good for this too.

    5.) I noticed a while back that "Get All" scan doesn't actually get all listings. For some reason it seems to skip a lot of the auction house. Instead I do the regular scan, which seems to work better, but it takes 45 minutes. Am I doing it wrong, or is this a bug?
    Possible bug.

    6.) Listing 1500 auctions takes forever. This is my biggest problem. It takes me over 2 hours to buy and list all my auctions now. Once I redo my snatchlists, I think I can streamline it a bit better. Do you think reselling is a bad way to make money?
    Check out zeroauctions or Trade Skill Master. You can probably cut down a good 75% of your time spent posting.

    Should I keep my mouth shut, so others don't learn how to play the auction house? :X
    Most players are lazy and won't ever be of competition, even if you try to help them. The big secrets you can keep to yourself though :P.

    edit: Oh this is pretty sweet, there's a website called "Undermine Journal". They've got all my info: http://theunderminejournal.com/selle...ller=Geodorian
    We ran the official "petition" to have this site restored when it "died" due to blizzard's shinanigans. It just went back up a few days ago.

    And since I'm here, check this post for wowhead itemlinks.
    Must-See: Stormspire.net Survival Guide | How-to: Tooltips in your posts | Consortium Key Sender (CKS) | Phat Lewts' Learn TSM Series
    Legion Mastery Series: Sniper | Cross-Faction Trading | Cooking | Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring Master
    Old World: Smelting | Garrisons Part 1 - Buildings | Garrisons Part 2 - Followers | Profitable Alchemy Crafts
    Archived: Enchanting | Jewelcrafting | Toy Box Guide | Blacksmithing Transmog Guide
    Want to get the most out of the site and support the community? Consider Premium Membership
    Find a post useful? Give the author rep! And above all, be respectful and friendly to everyone.

  6. #6
    Myraxes's Avatar
    Posts
    14
    Reputation
    1
    Tagged in
    0 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Welcome aboard, and grats on your success! I don't have a lot to add since you've gotten a lot of solid advice so far; but on the subject of your GetAll scans...I have heard of other folks on very high population realms having similar issues. It is a theory that the time required to scan such an enormous amount of auctions causes Auctioneer to hiccup and time out. You might try just scanning certain categories one at a time such as Trade Goods, or even a smaller sub-section; Glyphs or Gems for example.
    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Thanks for all the tips. I've identified the culprit as the glyphs and gems. I didn't realize how competitive the market was for those, and how low the demand was. I can't just mass buy/mass post glyphs and expect them to sell. It's going to be far easier to manage my auctions now. (But it's going to take months to get rid of them now. lolol. There's one for the "Never-to-be-repeated AH Mistakes" thread.)

    Also, Wowhead is amazing! Why haven't I discovered this before!

    Anyway, I should have far less auctions and far more profits now, as soon as I get my snatch lists reorganized.

  8. #8
    I can tell about the not having a level 85 crafting skill capped toon: it works, it's possible and you definitely should have at least gathering skills at lv63!

    My inscription toon is at level 64 (hello there!): he's a herbalist/scribe, so while I'm roaming in Outlands I also gather the herbs to mill and use in the glyphs. The glyph business with the low skill level 375 still brings in nice, decent 1000-2000g a day, and I'm far from capped. Using TSM I have been able to cut the low profit-low margin glyphs away from the routine and I'm doing my posting/restocking only once a day.

    I have a project going on with a gnome priest, who is pacifist. I have not done any quests in which you have to kill anything, the toon just hit lv17 and has 559g only from the herbs and ores gathered for levelling: almost no quest rewards and definitely no loot at all. Of course, knowing how the low level recipes still sell, I've done a gold or two from them, but the main part of that money is from gathering professions. Now I can really say that anyone who is complaining for not having money hasn't done jack in the game!

    I just got my first toon to crafting skill cap, and I concur with others in this thread: having one at cap isn't necessary for money making, but it surely helps. Not necessarily drastically, but helps anyhow. And anything that helps is a positive thing, especially in money making.

    Congrats on your success! You'll be in gold cap in no time with the guides, tips and information you will find in this forum!

  9. #9
    Thorzek's Avatar
    Posts
    313
    Reputation
    23
    Tagged in
    19 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I've identified the culprit as the glyphs and gems. I didn't realize how competitive the market was for those, and how low the demand was. I can't just mass buy/mass post glyphs and expect them to sell. It's going to be far easier to manage my auctions now. (But it's going to take months to get rid of them now. lolol. There's one for the "Never-to-be-repeated AH Mistakes" thread.)

    Also, Wowhead is amazing! Why haven't I discovered this before!

    Anyway, I should have far less auctions and far more profits now, as soon as I get my snatch lists reorganized.
    The first thing you need to learn is GPH - gold per hour. THIS needs to be the one measuring stick by which everything gets measured. Why scratch your belly for 500g per hour when you can take a dump for 2000g per hour?

    A - vendor the glyphs. If it's going to take you months in a competitive market with low demand you're better off losing 1/2k/3k/12k up front and freeing up "months" of your time - how much do you think you'll be able to make by NOT having to manage those things?

    B - Get ZeroAuctions. It's by far the best posting mod out there. Quick, simple, to the point. One time thinking about something, bajillions of mindless clicks to get your auctions posted. If not for this mod I would not be playing the AH.

    C - Get AuctionLite. I love this thing for mass sorting, scanning, and buying. It sorts by lowest per-unit price regardless of quantity so you can get a very good idea on trends. You also can't beat it for fast xfaction sales to beat the snipers.

    D - screw actioneer. Delete it. Historical pricing is horribly inaccurate and for a mod to store it is criminal. You want to do it the old fashioned way - learn the markets you're playing in. You're going to have to do it anyway to maximize your performance, don't let a mod screw it up. After you delete it, re-install it because you need it for scanning but cuss and swear about it the entire time.

    E - while professions are good, they aren't worth stopping doing other good things for. These are more of an "I'm doing it anyway" thing. You have plenty to do now, probably at a nice solid GPH. Don't bite off more than you can chew from a workload perspective. You still have to level and play the game Professions are going to be a huge money sink to level. That 20k you've made so far? Kiss it goodbye getting two professions leveled and having seed money to actually use them. Give this one some time, you have plenty more you can work on.
    Last edited by Thorzek; February 10th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.

  10. #10
    Lanoitarus's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Reputation
    5
    Tagged in
    0 Posts
    Add to this user's reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Also, Wowhead is amazing! Why haven't I discovered this before!
    You might well be the first person in WoW history to make 20k gold without knowing about wowhead. /boggle
    Nice work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzek View Post
    The first thing you need to learn is GPH - gold per hour. THIS needs to be the one measuring stick by which everything gets measured. Why scratch your belly for 500g per hour when you can take a dump for 2000g per hour?

    A - vendor the glyphs. If it's going to take you months in a competitive market with low demand you're better off losing 1/2k/3k/12k up front and freeing up "months" of your time - how much do you think you'll be able to make by NOT having to manage those things?

    B - Get ZeroAuctions. It's by far the best posting mod out there. Quick, simple, to the point. One time thinking about something, bajillions of mindless clicks to get your auctions posted. If not for this mod I would not be playing the AH.

    C - Get AuctionLite. I love this thing for mass sorting, scanning, and buying. It sorts by lowest per-unit price regardless of quantity so you can get a very good idea on trends. You also can't beat it for fast xfaction sales to beat the snipers.

    D - screw actioneer. Delete it. Historical pricing is horribly inaccurate and for a mod to store it is criminal. You want to do it the old fashioned way - learn the markets you're playing in. You're going to have to do it anyway to maximize your performance, don't let a mod screw it up. After you delete it, re-install it because you need it for scanning but cuss and swear about it the entire time.

    E - while professions are good, they aren't worth stopping doing other good things for. These are more of an "I'm doing it anyway" thing. You have plenty to do now, probably at a nice solid GPH. Don't bite off more than you can chew from a workload perspective. You still have to level and play the game Professions are going to be a huge money sink to level. That 20k you've made so far? Kiss it goodbye getting two professions leveled and having seed money to actually use them. Give this one some time, you have plenty more you can work on.
    Thorzek.. Why/how do you use Auctioneer for scanning only? I use auctionlite strictly and I love it. Or did you just mean for slow scanning/scatching?
    Last edited by Lanoitarus; February 10th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What auction house do you use ?
    By Lowel in forum Archive (General)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: August 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM
  2. Auction House Questions - Jewelcrafting Market etc.
    By zee in forum Archive (Auction House)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
  3. Your first Auction House market?
    By ffenliv in forum Archive (Auction House)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: March 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM