So I was cancelling auctions earlier (via TSM) and started to think about the competitive landscape on my server. I hopped over to the Undermine Journal and was looking over the competitors who pop out at me (meaning whose name I tend to remember) and got to thinking that this seems like a good spot for an addon to fill... I don't think I've ever seen one focused on this, has anyone else?
Specifically here's what I'm thinking (bear with me, I've been drinking while auctioning...)
- When do my competitors post? TUJ tracks this, but I have to know names (and not be drinking). I'm thinking an addon that analyses the "best" times for me to post in various markets. i.e. The guy who undercuts me most often in enchant scrolls usually does so at 8:36PM, therefore I should aim to run a cancel scan around 8:40PM.
- Who are my competitors in each market I'm active in? (This should probably be thought #1) On my server there are a few bank alts with obvious/stupid names who I remember and can mentally track - but my biggest competitor might be the guy who posts on his six 90 "mains" and I never realize it.
- Multiple alts who belong to the same person? This is probably a stretch, but earlier i added a few new bankers to my friends list (primitive spying) - later I noticed one would log off and another immediately on, indicating they are actually the same person. This data is valuable when considering patterns to sell against.
- Ok, super-big stretch: What addon or method are they using? This should theoretically be determinable over time by watching patterns. Examples: prices always seem to line up with Wowuction market -10%, or prices are a simple undercut of -1c, or seller simply resells and jacks everything up by 100g, etc. I'm not saying the addon has to spit out "joeyjoejoe is using auctionator! you can beat them if you try....". but if I can get some sort of indicator it could be helpful.
- Overall a list (sortable and filterable) of potential competitors, what markets they play in, times they tend to play, and methods they tend to play by. Similar to TSM's accounting, Auctioneer's Beancounter, or other general data tracking addons.
- Successes/Failures. With enough data collection it's presumably feasible to calculate how often a competitor is actually successful and therefore assign them some sort of score. i.e. "Who's my most dangerous competition?" sort of thing.
Thoughts? Opinions? Anything like this exist or any developers interested in tackling?